There is never a dull moment in the Mitchell house. I hope you enjoy the ride. We sure do!!!!

Monday, April 16, 2012

Face Fun

WARNING: This post may be a huge rant and I may seem like a crazy mom, but I am totally ok with that. Read on at your own risk.....
My sweet baby girl has taught me many lessons since her birth..... A healthy baby is not always a for sure thing and you REALLY do appreciate good health when you get it,  little girls CAN be as fun as little boys, you really can live on almost no sleep and still be thankful for everything you have, and no matter what you child looks like on the outside, they are the most BEAUTIFUL little gift you could ever ask for.

Now that that has been said, I will explain. Natalie has been battling skin issues for about 3 months now. It started out looking just a little chapped and since it was the middle of winter I didn't think much of it. We took her to the doctor and were told to put Aquaphor on it and it would be fine. Then it began oozing and crusting over and we knew it wasn't just chapped skin. Fast forward a month and we had two bad infections, 2 rounds of antibiotics, and what felt like a gallon of Aquaphor (MINOR exaggeration there, but we really were putting it on her face upwards of 5 times a day).  The first two months were the hardest because we had no idea what was wrong and if it was something we were doing to make it worse. Her face literally felt hot to the touch every time it got all red and we couldn't get it to go totally away for a SOLID 2 months. During those 2 months I learned a VERY valuable life lesson.....People can be just RUDE! Through all of this Natalie looked rough as can be, but was never fussy or irritable, just a smiling little pumpkin. I of course got use to the ugliness of it, but people were so rude. They would look at her and immediately wince and go "oh what's wrong with her?" or  "Oh, poor baby, that looks terrible". NO JOKE!! They said this TO ME!! All the while she is smiling like a sweet doll. I honestly considered telling people she either had leprosy or that she was burned....I figured stupid comments deserve stupid responses right.:-) NO PARENT wants someone to look at their sweet child and then wince and give them what I call "the poop face". I really developed a complex after a while and would either keep her carseat covered up so they couldn't see her or I would warn them before they looked at her so there was not the sting of the shock value. I would even start her on her steriod cream 3 days before we had an "event" or were going somewhere with a lot of people so I could have 1 day of clear skin. That was about all it lasted too was 36 hours at MOST. Then we went to our pediatrician for another infection and a different doctor saw us walking down the hall and he said "Oh I see a sweet baby coming my way" (She was facing back and all he could see was her head) I had had enough of people wincing when they saw here so I said "Oh, she may not be so sweet when you see her face" (Not my best moment, but you get to a point where if you scare them then they aren't as shocked when they see it). When I turned her around he didn't even flinch and he said, "Oh if you can't see past a little redness (and oozing and blood) and see that gorgeous smile then you are missing out. Look at that sweet girl, my goodness!" This mama needed that and he did my heart good. After that I stopped making excuses for her face and would just ignore people who said stupid things. Even family members made stupid comments and I just told myself that some day they may understand what it is like to have their child not look perfect and they will regret their comments.

I am so happy to say that after 3 visits to the dermatologist and 2 different prescriptions she is doing MUCH better. She simply has REALLY bad eczema and we have to stay on top of it, but we have had almost a week of soft skin and that is by far the longest stretch we have had in 3 months. I find myself kissing those sweet cheeks all day long and I just love it. Myles even said to me today, "Mom her face isn't so red anymore."
To end my soapbox rant....WHEN you see a person's child no matter what the circumstances, DON'T ask "What's wrong with them?", "What happened to them?", or say "Poor thing". If you don't know what happened and the parent doesn't offer up information right away they probably don't want to talk about it or draw attention to it and it probably isn't anyone else's business anyway. If you DO suspect it is something you don't want your child to have or catch, then keep them away, but keep your comments to yourself. Parenting is hard enough as it is. Simply say, "What a sweet baby", because ALL babies are sweet. They may not all be pretty, but they are all sweet.:-)Thank you to my sweet friends and especially my sister who were such great support and loved my baby girl for who she was inside and out and gave me the support when I NEEDED it.
This is kind of a bitter beer face, but this was how it looked almost all the time. Red and scaly....Always...
I could get it to look this good for about 36 hours and then we had to take a break from the steroid cream for a week and it would flare up again like crazy.


Here was when it was infected again....
 Oozing and infected.....
This was her just today!!! How sweet are those cheeks? SO kissable!

Pretty sure Ty is saying, "DON'T BE RUDE AND STOP TALKING ABOUT  MY SISTER!!" I may be wrong...

3 comments:

  1. Bless her little heart - I knew she was sweetly rosy cheeked but I didn't realize you'd been struggling with infections and what not...poor baby. Girl...Avery has a stork bite and it extends down onto her nose and upper lip and you WOULD NOT BELIEVE the people that have straight up asked me "aw, whats wrong with her face?" Seriously?!? Who says that!? Oh my....I'm just thankful that I love her enough that I don't see it nor do I care when I do...she's perfect in every way to me and your sweet baby is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and sweet baby Natalie soooo much!!! (Just as much as I love your rants)! As we both know, I suffer with the parental judgements about Trevor's behaviors with his ADHD and other diagnosis that just KILL me! They look at me like, "What a bad parent! Can't you control your kid!" But my friend said to me the other day, " ADHD is on the Autism spectrum and everyone seems to feel so bad for you if you have a child with Autism." So would people treat me and Trevor differently if they knew he had an "Autism spectrum disorder" instead of ADHD?? Would he not be looked at like such a monster, then?

    You are doing an amazing job with all THREE of your children under 5 (!!!) and they are all beautiful! Just remember that you are living in Kentucky and you can't fix ignorance (sooooo just kidding!!!)

    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a friend of Lindsy's and was just talking to her about my newborn son's skin issues. She directed me to you (and this particular blog posting!) and so I thought I would contact you. My baby is nearly 6 weeks old and I am just noticing the beginnings of eczema on his cheeks, chin, eyebrows. I thought it was baby acne at first, but then it got angry, red, hot, and rough/raised. It looks similar to your baby girl's in the the pic of the three of them in Steelers gear. I called the pediatrician today and they recommended Aveeno products as a first line of defense/home treatment. And also to wash all our clothes in Dreft. I was just wondering if you had anything you recommend/don't recommend to try before seeking out medical advice? We have his two-month appointment coming up and I want to go armed with things I have tried in the case that they don't work and I can go ahead and seek out more agressive treatment (does this make sense? our Ped usually asks us to try certain, more benign things first before prescribing). Also, I would LOVE to know what worked for you so I can bring this up too. (My hubby is a pharmacist and I hate to say it, but it gives us an edge in the prescribing realm). Anywho, if you have time, do you mind to email me? janineowens@gmail.com Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete