There is never a dull moment in the Mitchell house. I hope you enjoy the ride. We sure do!!!!

Monday, December 6, 2010

Wine?....Yes Please

As I posted before, Nat and I just had our 5 year anniversary. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to NY in the winter. Kind of a bucket list item for me. I figured that since it was our 5 year anniversary we should do it this year. With all the trips we've taken this year and heading back to MN very soon, it was not in the cards for us this year. With that out the window I figured we would celebrate it just like any other anniversary and not make a big deal about it. I planned to have a fun weekend just the 4 of us and relax. We would get Qdoba on our anniversary and enjoy an adult beverage with dinner and that would be our celebrating. When I told Nat the plan 2 days before our anniversary he said he had other plans. I was SHOCKED because Nat rarely surprises me with plans we have not already talked about. I was excited. I was nervous about leaving the kids for an overnight, but they were in good hands with Nate and Amanda so it was really all planned out for me.

On Saturday we drove to Bardstown, KY and arrived at a vineyard/bed and breakfast called Spring Hill Bed and Breakfast. I truly had NO idea where we were going. Nat told me that he didn't want me to know we were going to a vineyard because I don't like wine....at all.....We got there a little early and decided to do a wine tasting. I kinda just planned to sit there and watch Nat taste them, but the woman said she would try to find one I liked. I honestly consider wine to to be like coffee, either you like it or you don't, end of story. I'm so tired of people trying to tell me it doesn't "really" taste like coffee. YES IT DOES!! Wine is the same way. I finally caved and did a wine tasting. I will have to say I found a wine that I enjoy. After trying about 8 different wines at Spring Hill I had 2 that did not make me want to puke. We then went to Chuckleberry Farms and found another 2 that I really liked. The pear wine is my favorite by far. By the time we got done tasting about 12 wines I was feeling a little tipsy. Then, Nat told me I we were going on a dinner train! I was thinking, "This could be interesting".  Luckily we had enough time between the wine tasting and the train ride that I "sobered up" before we left. The train ride was about 2 hours long and was honestly the best meal I have had in years. I could not stop eating. Everything from the beer cheese and crackers as appetizers to the mashed potatoes and finally the chicken. THE CHICKEN WAS AMAZING!! I kind of think the chicken was soaked in crack cocaine because it took everything I had not to suck the last little bit of meat off the of bones. Since it was our anniversary I didn't want to totally embarrass Nat. If it had just been a night out, I probably would have done it. :-)
All dressed up and ready for fun.

After all the fun wine and food we headed back to the B&B and watched a movie. While we were watching the movie in the living room the owners and another guest came in. After chatting for a bit we found out that the other guest is a farm girl from Willmar, MN who now lives in California. I told her where I was from and she nearly fell over and said her brother lives in Slayton, MN! Who knew that while at a B&B in Kentucky you would find someone who knows someone from where you were raised. Good times.

Here are our purchases from the weekend. Let the nights of relaxing and drinking wine begin!


A surprise find. Jelly made with wine. Absolutely divine! Pretty sure this will not go on the boys' toast in the morning.
Sunday morning we headed back to reality and our gorgeous boys. Man how I missed them. It is funny how just a little breather from all the chaos and you are refreshed and ready to do your job that much better. I can't thank my husband enough for all the planning and scheming he did to make this possible. I will say that after the craziness of  last year, it was a WONDERFUL chance to get to reconnect with my husband and have a meal together that did not involve cutting food into little pieces or cleaning up spilled juice. I also think we learned that we are much better parents when we get time together just the two of us. Here's to not waiting another 5 years before we do something for ourselves again.

2 comments:

  1. You could have also said that your cousin lives in Willmar! Small world isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could we make the grainery look like that winery? I would be glad to start growing grapes or shipping them in if that is what I would end up having on our property!! I could be the quality control wine woman or the whiner as Dad calls me sometimes- whyyyyyy would he say that? :)

    ReplyDelete